jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Tony Rozga <t...@neovalent.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 + Jackrabbit + transactions
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 21:04:43 GMT
slandelle@excilys.com wrote:
> You're confusing JTA and JCA (even if these 2 are often linked I agree).
> Let's take the problem from start : you want transactions! :)

yes, transactions! :)
> Do you need 2PC? How do you intend to work with your transactions? Spring?

Our need for transactions is based on the fact that we are using
multiple Jackrabbit workspaces and need transactional semantics for
changes that span multiple workspaces.

I think I could code this project 5 times before I learned enough about
Spring to use it :)  I was hoping to find a lighter-weight transaction
manager that could coordinate changes to multiple workspaces.  All of my
reading has given me the impression that there is some combination of
things out there that can accomplish this in Tomcat6.
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.XASessionImpl implements XAResource which can
be manipulated individually (like
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.UserTransactionImpl does) or in concert like
a javax.transaction.Transaction does by enlisting multiple XAResources
in a single transaction.  It is my understanding that something like
Atomikos is an implementation of the JTA and could be used as that
manager but it is unclear how to coordinate that piece and Jackrabbit.

Tony