jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Kenneth Yue <Kenneth....@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Which RepositoryFactory for WebDAV?]
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:07:24 GMT
Angela Schreiber wrote:
> hi kenneth
>
>> So how do I use this?
>
> see
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/sandbox/spi/client/src/test/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/client/JCR2SPIRepositoryStub.java

> for an example. that used to work for me.
> if that doesn't it is simply broken.

Hmm, Jackrabbit specific coding, which is what I've been trying to
avoid.  I have nothing against Jackrabbit (or else I wouldn't be using
it :-), but having Jackrabbit code (i.e import org.apache.jackrabbit.*)
in my code makes the users of my software hard, if not impossible, to
switch to another JSR170 implementation at deploy/run-time.  For
example, if my users want to use Day's CRX (pay Day money) instead of
Jackrabbit, they can't because I'm using
org.apache.jackrabbit.client.JCR2SPIRepositoryStub in my code.  This
completely defeats the purpose of having a JSR in the first place, IMHO.

Is a javax.naming.spi.ObjectFactory implementation similar to
org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.client.ClientRepositoryFactory planned?
Please consider doing it.  That would make my life (and my users' lives)
much easier.  :-)  I can't believe I'm the only one asking for it!

>> FYI, for a workaround, I've been using RMI and this works great:
>
> glad to hear. i didn't try that one ;)

Maybe you should, then you'll know what I meant above.  :-)

Thanks.

Ken