jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Campbell" <rrc...@gmail.com>
Subject When to use JCR over DB? Guidelines/Best practices?
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:37:54 GMT
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to Jackrabbit (or any JCR implementation) and my only
CR experience was with a proprietary one years ago not offering so
many of the features we have today like queries, transactions,
versioning, etc.

So I am in the process of designing a web store and I'm finding it
difficult to decide what to put in a traditional DB w/ORM versus JCR
w/OCM. For example, think of your typical Product:

id, name, price, data sheets, marketing PDFs, pictures, searchable
meta data, editable CMS type description for display, etc...

Looking at this, it screams "just put it all in Jackrabbit... " The
only things that would make more sense in a DB I guess are id, name,
and price.. but I can't say why, just feels that way. Why both with
the DB at all and just put everything in Jackrabbit, with Category
nodes, Product nodes, etc?

How do all of you decide which system to use and where? What are the
guidelines you all use?

Thank you,

Rob