jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Charles Brooking" <public+jackrab...@charlie.brooking.id.au>
Subject Re: WebDAV with large files
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 07:00:16 GMT
Julian Reschke wrote:
>> What I found was that when transferring ten files, each of about 10MiB,
>> memory consumption jumped by 100MiB. This suggests that transfer of
>> large files or large numbers of files is impossible! Is there a way to
>> save 'blob' files to disk in a streaming way?
>
> Well, it really doesn't suggest that (yet) -- there's no guarantee that
> garbage is collected until more memory is needed (at least that's my
> understanding).

Good point. They were very unscientific tests, but I thought it wouldn't
hurt to bounce them off the list. As it turns out, I have done some more
testing today and have been unable to reproduce the problem. (Maybe it was
too late at night and I was seeing things.)

I have just now transferred several files, each over 1GiB, and the Tomcat
java process stayed at around 60MiB resident memory (plus 370MiB virtual).
This was with CATALINA_OPTS='-Xmx128m'. The operating system used almost
all of the remaining memory as cache, but Tomcat itself was completely
steady.

I was careful before to disable all IO handlers, and I can't think of any
other reason memory would have blown out, but I'll keep an eye on things.
Hopefully this excellent performance will continue!

Later
Charlie