jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: WebDAV Paradigm Mismatch
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:24:22 GMT
Sorry, but your rant is a bit unclear: what exactly are the issues you
face with WebDAV on Jackrabbit? Let me clarify on the various issues
you threw in:

Files and folders: The major WebDAV on Jackrabbit case (provided by
the SimpleWebdavServlet under /repository in the jackrabbit webapp
[1]) is mapping files and folders onto nt:file and nt:folder nodes in
JCR. That way all you see and can do with the WebDAV on Jackrabbit are
natural files and folders.

Run out-of-the-box: Jackrabbit today is a "backend" library
implementing the JCR spec (it is the reference implementation) and it
is to be used in other (web) applications. Thus there is currently no
goal to have a one-click-installer for end-users on all platforms to
provide a generic document storage. There has been work on such a
thing in the Apache Sling project, which provides a runnable jar with
Jackrabbit included [2], that after startup, gives you a WebDAV on
http://localhost:8080 (although it has a slightly different mapping to
JCR nodes), and a commercial JCR implementation partly based on
Jackrabbit has something called "quickstart", ie. a runnable jar with
Jackrabbit's WebDAV out-of-the-box at
http://localhost:port/repository/<workspace>/ [3].

Locking/Versioning: Do you want to version the files after every save?
That is not done by default since it would create many unnecessary
versions (nothing you could generically assume for all files), but it
can IMHO be quite easily customized by writing your own variant of the
SimpleWebdavServlet.

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-web-application.html
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/sling/site/downloads.cgi
[3] http://dev.day.com/microsling/content/blogs/main/firststeps1.html