jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@day.com>
Subject Re: Performance of save operation dependent on size of parent node?
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:02:54 GMT
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Sridhar Raman <sridhar.raman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a parent node which, initially, has 0 children nodes.  Now I add 1000
> nodes, and perform a save.  I keep repeating this task.  Should the
> performance of parent_node.save() deteriorate as the size of the parent node
> increases?  That's what I am observing, despite the fact that the absolute
> count of the number of nodes being saved is the same each time - 1000.  Is
> this expected behaviour?
>
> Also, if the node that is getting saved is versionable, then the performance
> deterioration is much worse.
>
> Some rough numbers-
> Without versioning:
> 1000 takes 10 seconds
> 3000 takes 13 seconds
> 10000 takes 20 seconds
> 20000 takes 21 seconds
>
> With versioning:
> 1000 takes 24 seconds
> 3000 takes 26 seconds
> 10000 takes 40 seconds
> 20000 takes 118 seconds
>
> I can still live with the numbers that occur with no versioning.  But, with
> versioning, it could be a problem.

versioning does come at a price, i.e. it significantly impacts performance.

however, your figures seem way to slow. please provide details about your
configuration (repository.xml, deployment model) and ideally a simple,
self-contained test case. i'd be happy to further investigate your problem.

cheers
stefan