jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Sridhar Raman" <sridhar.ra...@gmail.com>
Subject Performance of save operation dependent on size of parent node?
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:31:19 GMT
I have a parent node which, initially, has 0 children nodes.  Now I add 1000
nodes, and perform a save.  I keep repeating this task.  Should the
performance of parent_node.save() deteriorate as the size of the parent node
increases?  That's what I am observing, despite the fact that the absolute
count of the number of nodes being saved is the same each time - 1000.  Is
this expected behaviour?

Also, if the node that is getting saved is versionable, then the performance
deterioration is much worse.

Some rough numbers-
Without versioning:
1000 takes 10 seconds
3000 takes 13 seconds
10000 takes 20 seconds
20000 takes 21 seconds

With versioning:
1000 takes 24 seconds
3000 takes 26 seconds
10000 takes 40 seconds
20000 takes 118 seconds

I can still live with the numbers that occur with no versioning.  But, with
versioning, it could be a problem.

Thanks,
Sridhar