jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Dave Fried <dfr...@phoenix-int.com>
Subject Re: Result of VERSION-CONTROL request
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:09:16 GMT

Angela Schreiber wrote:

> hi dave
>
> thanks for the feedback.
> can you open jira issues for the things you think are
> wrong or need improvement? that's easier to handle in
> the first place. in addition there is a least a chance
> that the issues get adressed ;)

Like I said before, I will almost certainly do this when I have the time.
The nice thing about posting this stuff is that it gives me a record (other
than my own diff logs and TODO lists, anyway) to actually create the bug
items.

>> Oh, and one more which was a serious problem for me today... handling of
>> XML files is wrong.  Uploading a file with MIME type "text/xml" results
>> in an unstructured JCR node rather than a file node,
>
> really? as far as i know it creates an nt:file node, underneith
> a jcr:content node and then extracts the xml below that node.

Not in the version I have.  I suppose that modifying the XmlHandler to
actually do this could be another workaround.  It's also possible this was
an issue that was fixed in the few weeks since I got source.

>> The only straightforward
>> solution I could find was changing config.xml to remove the XmlHandler
>> from upload processing.
>
> that's what i would have suggested to you.
> maybe you want to remove the ZipHandler as well, because
> it works similarly and extracts the zip content.

Was thinking about that, too.  Thanks for the confirmation of my suspicion.
:)

The default inclusion of special content handlers, especially when they're
used by the default implementation of the WebDAV servlet, feels wrong to me.
The basic behavior, for instance, of uploading a .zip file should be that
the zip file gets uploaded to the server.  It's an easy way to store and
retrieve data, especially when speed or bandwidth is an issue.

Being able to automatically unpack compressed files is nice, but seems like
an optional feature rather than something that should be on by default -
especially if it means the file is going to "look" different on the server
than it did on your local drive.  Just my $0.02.

--Dave