jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Mike Oliver <moli...@corenttech.com>
Subject Re: WebDAV Paradigm Mismatch
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:29:46 GMT

Dazzled or not, what I am referring to is that Out of the Box the
SimpleWebDAVServlet falls short of my expectations, simple as that.  As a
committer on Slide I know perfectly well that anything is possible with some
code and I have said that JackRabbit is superior in many ways.

All my comments are related to SimpleWebDAVServlet.  Certainly some of the
frustration is that it is just different, the "jr webav" for example is fine
but that is neither out of the box or something my customer/users would
understand...the topic of this thread is "paradigm mismatch".  The scenario
I used where two users on the system access the same word document via a web
folder.  One user on windows and the other on a mac.  One user opens a word
document and gets a lock, the other user should see it is locked and get a
read only copy.  On save of the first user a new version gets created and
the lock remains until that user closes word.  With a Web Browser alone,
browsing the same repository the third user sees the word document in a
folder and sees when it is locked and when it is released and can see its
modified date.

My experience is that this is not a scenario that is supported "out of the
box", and that's my frustration.

I fully acknowledge that there are other implementations and that what I
want is not hard to find or build, I published a Tutorial Series on IBM
Developerworks where I showed how to build WebDAV clients in php, python and
java and how to integrate other databases behind Slide.  So my frustration
with SimpleWebDAVServlet is about IMHO that it should do more of what most
people want JackRabbit to do for them.