jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Mike Oliver <moli...@corenttech.com>
Subject Re: WebDAV Paradigm Mismatch
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:02:07 GMT

David,

In Slide we can set a configuration parameter and automatically version the
entire repository or a node and its children.

As to saving not really being versioning, I would really like to know your
meaning, since that is the crux of my 'rant'  WebDAV, precisely the "V" in
WebDAV is for Versioning, if the JackRabbit WebDAV doesn't do Versioning,
then call it 'WebDA'.

I should be able to open a document in Word from my WebDAV repository, edit
it, save it and see a new version in the repository.  If I open it in Word
then if someone else tries to open it, they should not be able to open it
except in read only mode because it is locked and should stay locked as long
I have it open.

While it is fair to say JackRabbit is about the JSR-170 spec and the "Back
End" and fully reasonable to say the focus is on that functionality.  I have
already acknowledged that is superior.

But not having a browser application to browse the content in the repository
or WebDAV that doesn't do locking or versioning, is also fair to say they
fall short of the capabilities of the predecessors JackRabbit is intended to
replace.

Given your and Alex's response, I am now leaning heavily toward taking the
WebDAV implementation from Slide and use that as a model for an
AdvancedWebDAVServlet that offers an html browser interface to the
repository AND full WebDAV with locking and versioning with JackRabbit on
the back end.  Might even donate it back.

Ollie