jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Mike Oliver <moli...@corenttech.com>
Subject WebDAV Paradigm Mismatch
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2008 13:52:18 GMT

As a committer on the Slide project before its retirement, I have a number of
applications built on top of it and some of those are better on JackRabbit
due to the Node Types and other aspects not relevant to this post.

But WebDAV on JackRabbit sucks.  The reason it sucks is that the WebDAV
filesystem paradigm is what users, especially non computer scientist users
expect and using WebDAV by going to My NetWork Places and adding a WebDAV
folder needs to show Folders and Files.  With Slide this works Out of the
Box and you can still download and install the Slide Tomcat bundle and start
using it with WebDAV in a few minutes and use Microsoft Word to save a
document to a Web Folder, and as long as Word has the document open, it is
locked in Slide for all to see, Save it after some changes and it stays
locked but you get a new version.  Close Word and the lock goes away.  You
can have folders within folders and documents within folders.

Simple, even my wife can use it.

I am tempted to take Slide, create a new set of Stores for Slide that
implement JackRabbit as the repository and use the Slide WebDAV interface.

As I said for some things JackRabbit is greatly superior to Slide, but for
WebDAV and Web Folders...uh no.

Ollie