jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Aleksei Lukin <lu...@stu.cn.ua>
Subject Re: OCM:To Path or Not to Path
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 17:08:47 GMT
Hello, dear  Christophe !
Back to old discussion... :)

Sunday 05 October 2008 11:11:02 Christophe Lombart написав:
> My conclusion is if you see the OCM pojo classes similar to the JPA
> entities, the path becomes insteresting because the UUID is not mandatory.
> Otherwise, we have to specify the path into the OCM API see [1] ... but the
> discussion is always open :-)

UUID is not mandatory but always available as an option. Path is not consistent parameter,
e.g. I just move object from "drafts" to "published" content folder and path is changed
but UUID is still the same. So what is better? I prefer key that never changes for the same
object independend of object location.

So in my projects I make all OCM nodes mix:referenceable and use UUIDs everywhere.
We need path only when we place object at some location. Rest of situations covered by UUIDs.

Path is unque but not consistent key of node. If we compare it to primary key in the world
of relations, it does not allow reliable object retrival and can not be used as primary
key. As I wrote before few month ago, UUID is only option for reliable analog of primary key
regardless it's optionality in JCR specification. I do not know JCR implementations
that do not support UUIDs so it's not a problem to use UUID.

SY, Alex Lukin
RIPE NIC HDL: LEXA1-RIPE