jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <da...@day.com>
Subject Re: WebDAV Paradigm Mismatch
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 07:23:05 GMT
hi ollie,

> In Slide we can set a configuration parameter and automatically version the
> entire repository or a node and its children.
i appreciate that.

> As to saving not really being versioning, I would really like to know your
> meaning, since that is the crux of my 'rant'  WebDAV, precisely the "V" in
> WebDAV is for Versioning, if the JackRabbit WebDAV doesn't do Versioning,
> then call it 'WebDA'.
well, versioning in webdav is speced in deltav [1] by geoff clemm et al.
if i understand your suggestion correctly that would mean that you favor
an automatic "checkpoint" sort of an implicit CHECKIN and CHECKOUT
method upon a PUT.

deltav's versioning model goes far beyond the linear versioning usecase
that you seem to try to achieve.

jr probably has one of the most complete delta-v implementations that I am
aware of [2]

> I should be able to open a document in Word from my WebDAV repository, edit
> it, save it and see a new version in the repository.  If I open it in Word
> then if someone else tries to open it, they should not be able to open it
> except in read only mode because it is locked and should stay locked as long
> I have it open.
i think this usecase is fairly well known and absolutely no problem to
implement. you will also find all the code for locking in the jr webdav
implementation [3].

> While it is fair to say JackRabbit is about the JSR-170 spec and the "Back
> End" and fully reasonable to say the focus is on that functionality.  I have
> already acknowledged that is superior.
> But not having a browser application to browse the content in the repository
> or WebDAV that doesn't do locking or versioning, is also fair to say they
> fall short of the capabilities of the predecessors JackRabbit is intended to
> replace.
i am still dazzled why you think that's the case...
there are probably dozens of web-based repository browsers available
(ours for example [4]) and it is certainly not the case that the jr webdav impl
lacks the code for versioning or locking.

> Given your and Alex's response, I am now leaning heavily toward taking the
> WebDAV implementation from Slide and use that as a model for an
> AdvancedWebDAVServlet that offers an html browser interface to the
> repository AND full WebDAV with locking and versioning with JackRabbit on
> the back end.  Might even donate it back.
personally, i think you might be better served with a couple of lines of
code in the jackrabbit webdav code to enable the "auto-versioning"
use case you mention. of course patches are always welcome ;)

regards,
david

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3253.txt
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit-webdav/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/webdav/version/