jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Tobias Bocanegra" <tobias.bocane...@day.com>
Subject Re: David's Model and translation projects
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2008 08:37:10 GMT
On 9/8/08, Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijvers@onehippo.com> wrote:
> Hello Fabián Mandelbaum,
>
>  First of all, IMHO, you do not have to entirely commit to David's model. IMHO, some
of the rules are based on the frontend technology that is displaying the data (like number
4, beware of same name siblings. When creating frontends based on repository paths and cache
them etc etc, I understand same name siblings are nasty, but, AFAICS, it is a frontend technology
driven rule. Same holds for some other rules.)

>  So, in your case, I would preferably not structure your content in folders containing
the 'language' name. As you said, you break one of Davids Rules (though, again, creating some
basic structure doesn't seem harmful to me at all, again :-))  ), but worse, you might run
into cumbersome queries regarding performance. You probably will need to do all queries having
some path info, slowing queries significantly.

>  I would create same name sibblings, and have meta data (a property) on the file indicate
the language. I must admit you might want to have some features for this we have added on
top of Jackrabbit, like 'filtered mirrors': below some node, we expose a virtual copy of the
repository, filtered on some properties to only show those nodes you want to. All nodes in
this virtual layer are accessed jsr compliant, so, the client isn't even aware (we call this
a facetselect, a mirror with filters, where we also expose facetsearches, a virtual facetted
navigation within Jackrabbit, again jsr compliant). Though even without this enhancement I
would go for same name sibblings and meta data. Querying on meta data is alsways fast, as
opposed to querying with path info.

the nice thing about not having SNS and having a folder structure for
the language is that you can easily access it via webdav. so you just
drop your translated files in the respective folder again, and your
done. having SNS and meta data just renders this impossible.

regards, toby

ps: imo SNS were a stupid idea (the way they were speced in jcr1.0.
there are some efforts in jsr283 to correct this) and are actually
only valid to use when importing/exploding XML files into the
repository. but you always have troubles as soon as you have SNS, and
you need a lot of application logic to handle and use them
efficiently.