jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: caching when serving files via web
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:07:06 GMT

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Will Glass-Husain
<wglasshusain@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm serving some files on Tomcat directly out of Jackrabbit.  (Through a
> ServletFilter).  I'd like to set this up to use the right HTTP headers
> (etags, etc) to permit HTTP caching.  Is there infrastructure in JackRabbit
> already for this?  Any suggestions on best practice?

The basic infrastructure should be in place (see JCR-174), but I'm not
too familiar with that part of the codebase to know how widely it is
used. AFAIK we currently generate weak etags based on the size and
last modification date of an nt:file node.

We've had a few discussions about how to best handle etags and similar
information in a JCR content repository. One idea is that if you use
the data store, then under the hood you always have strong etags for
binary properties, but currently there is unfortunately no way to
expose that information to the JCR or WebDAV client.

Jukka Zitting

View raw message