jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From kenclark <kencl...@snet.net>
Subject Adding a new property
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 04:02:04 GMT

As you will see, I am very new to Jackrabbit and JCR in general.

I am working on storing binary content using nt:file.  I have this working.

I would like to keep track of the user id of the user that saved the binary
content.  It is clear to me that I can't just add a property of whatever
name I like -- I need to (apparently) configure a new node type which
extends from "jcr:content" (or maybe "nt:resource", I can't be sure.)

I have been googling my head off for about an hour, and am totally unable to
figure out how to do this.

So:

1) Is it correct that I need to make a new node type?

2) How do I define it and then register it?  I would like this to be done in
a portable way if possible so that I can hook up to different
implementations of JCR without having to rewrite.

3) I have a web app which will be using this.  I assume the node type only
needs to be registered once, but is that once per server startup or once
ever or what?  What is the best architecture for doing this setup?

4) Why is it so complicated to add a new property -- or have I totally
missed the easy way to do this?

Thanks,
ken