jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@day.com>
Subject Re: InMemPersistenceManager hogging resources
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 14:50:27 GMT
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Jared Graber <jared.graber@iaccap.com> wrote:
> As it turns out, a bunch of the persistent managers use a boatload of memory during an
import.
> The InMemPersistenceManager is probably the worst (as expected), but even the Oracle9PersistenceManager
(a bundle persistence manager) uses a few hundred MB.

i don't think this is a PM-related issue. it is true that the
Bundle*PMs use an internal cache. however,
the default size of this 'bundle cache' is just 8mb... i rather assume
the heap is used by the
transient space/change log during the import. make sure you're using
the Workspace.importXML method
rather than Session.importXML (avoiding the transient space).  the
change log is still memory bound.

cheers
stefan

> -Jared

Guggisberg
> Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 5:56 AM
> To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
> Subject: Re: InMemPersistenceManager hogging resources
>
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Jared Graber <jared.graber@iaccap.com> wrote:
>> It seems to me that this renders the InMemPersistenceManager unusable except for
unit testing (which is works really well for).

> http://jackrabbit.apache.org/api/1.3/org/apache/jackrabbit/core/persistence/mem/InMemPersistenceManager.html
>
> please note the last sentence (bold) of the class description ;)
>
> cheers
> stefan
>
>> None of the properties contain a lot of data - mostly 10 chars or less, in rare cases
(less than 100 nodes) they would break the 50 character mark and even then it's probably maxing
out at around 500 characters.  I'm not sure data compression would really help.

>> It looks like there is a great deal of memory overhead with the jackrabbit objects
because there isn't that much actual data.