jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@day.com>
Subject Re: what does NodeTypeRegistry.reregisterNodeType() do?
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:34:06 GMT
hi betty

sorry for the delay.

let me summarize your findings to see if i properly
understood the problem. you have

- jcr2spi running on the spi2dav implementation.
- you register/reregister nodetypes directly on the server side.
- the content-representation of your nodetypes under
   /jcr:system/jcr:nodeTypes shows your custom definitions.
- however, the nodetypes exposed through the NodeTypeManager
   accessed through session.getWorkspace().getNodeTypeManager() don't
   reflect the changes.

is that correct?
if it is i would assume that it is caused by the following
behaviour:

- jcr2spi reads nodetype definitions through the SPI only.
- jcr2spi currently has no possibility to detect changes
   made to nodetypes.
- new nodetype definitions will be detected (loaded from the
   server) if the nodetype is accessed directly or indirectly.

if my assumption is correct, your reregistered definitions
will only show up, if you create a new client repository.

could you confirm this?

without having thought about it carefully, i's say there are
two possibilities in order to make jcr2spi aware of changes
made to nodetype definitions:

- implement extended JSR 283 nodetype functionality and
   mandate that the nodetypes are managed through the JCR
   API only.

- add some sort of observation mechanism to detect modifications
   to the set of registered nodetypes, e.g. by having an
   event listener to /jcr:system/jcr:nodeTypes tree.
   however, this would not be garanteed to work, since nodetype
   registration is not part of JSR 170 and observation is
   an optional feature.

currently i would prefer the first variant.

kind regards
angela