jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Managing email within a JSR-170 repository
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2008 06:55:09 GMT
On 7/4/08, Steve Cameron <sc04@utas.edu.au> wrote:

> robert burrell donkin-2 wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 4:39 AM, paksegu <paksegu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Pls read this post know the Apache james an email server whereby the one
>>> the JCR commiters Jukka hooked it a up to a JCR backend
>>>
>>> http://dev.day.com/microsling/content/blogs/main/jcrmail.html
>>
>> there's quite a lot of interest in a serious, fully functional backing
>> of JAMES by JCR. (this is next on my personal agenda once i've
>> completed the IMAP implementation.)
>>
>>> From: Steve Cameron <sc04@utas.edu.au>
>>> Subject: Managing email within a JSR-170 repository
>>> To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
>>> Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 10:20 PM
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am just starting to investigate JSR-170, so apologies if this request
>>> is
>>> slightly out of scope.
>>>
>>> Are there any free/open-source examples of JSR-170 being used for
>>> managing
>>> email (similar to MS Exchange Server) and with an associated client
>>> application?
>>
>> what would you expect from the client?
>>
>>> I am interested to use an ECM system, but am picturing a solution that
>>> handles email as well as other document types and so allows content
>>> searches
>>> to include emails.
>>
>> content searches in mail is an interesting topic :-)
>>
>> i'm interested in a hetrogeneous MIME-aware mail store (using mail in
>> the board) with good support for faceting searching. i'd like to mash
>> messages of various types (including  ATOM feeds: a little little a
>> super planet) and allow output through various protocols.
>>
>> - robert
>>

> Thanks for you replies folks,

> client', i am interested in knowledge management, so, to be able to treat
> email in the same manner as this forum handles posts is probably what I'm
> looking for, in other words, an ongoing conversation is recorded and viewed
> as a tree of nodes.  Of course this happens currently via forwarding of, and
> replying to, email.

Good :-)

I'm very interested in this area and have plans to develop software in
this direction

> The above version tracking and branching scenario would not be foreign to a
> JSR-170 repository, I guess, but how you could integrate that with a email
> server I don't know.

Good threading is more tricky than you might first suspect but it is a
problem that interests me

>If a mail client was conventional then just to be able to periodically
> export a mail server JSR-170 repository across to an enterprise one
> (containing other document types) would be the goal. Then the email docs
> could be searched via JSR-170 functionality.

JAMES is an enterprise class server so no export would be neccessary ;-)
One good approach would be to use JAMES+JCR as the first line mail
server followed by forward for local delivery plus archiving for
faceted corporate search.

One of the drawbacks with JAMES2.x is that though it uses IoC, it's
hard to understand the component structure. For 3.x we've been working
very hard on pulling out components into separate modules and
projects. Once this is done should be much more accessible.

I'm also very excited by the ongoing work to integrate mail components
into conventional enterprise class containers. That would allow direct
integration into JEE based enterprise software.

One of the cool things about ApacheConEU for me this year was talking
with Noel and an open source guy from Microsoft about mail. The API
are now public and Microsoft actually seem happy for FOSS to
interoperate.

> Its early days for me on this, so there is a definitely work for me to get
> up to speed (to just understand what you've written :) ), but I may have a
> chance to work on these kinds of issues in my new role, so what was
> previously an academic interest (in knowledge management) may become more
> practical.

Great

As you can probably tell, this is an area. I'm very interested in.

Robert