jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Workspace question
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:11:30 GMT
Hi Juergen!

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM, chokdee <bowlingbiker@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am searching for a while to understand how I can use the workspaces for my
> project.
> Today we are using CVS as a repository and we want to migrate to Jackrabbit.
>
> Now I try to make different workspaces each time a user want to edit the
> content and than merge the versions together.
> Is that the right way?

Probably not. If the content changes are simple, cloning to a new
workspace is overkill. Workspace cloning is more like branching in
CVS, when you want to have a separate copy with the same history for a
longer period of time (or even forever). Although I personally have
never used workspace cloning so far, maybe someone else has a good use
case for them, and maybe similar to yours.

The main use case for workspaces is to separate your content. In a
typical CMS you could have a "main" workspace, a "staging" and a
"public" workspace, each with the same internal structure. The good
thing is that it is just a configuration change in your application
which workspace you want to view, since the workspace is selected
inside the JCR login.

Regards,
Alex