jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Fitzgibbons, Brad" <bfitzgibb...@techtarget.com>
Subject RE: RowIterator.next() fails when hasNext() returns true
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:13:57 GMT
I'll try to find some time to spin something up, but it's likely to be awhile before I can
find the bandwidth to do so.  As soon as I can I'll submit a repeatable, non-proprietary example
of the problem.

As an aside, I've thoroughly enjoyed working with the JCR standard and Jackrabbit.  Thanks
for all the work you and others have put into this.

brad

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Reutegger [mailto:marcel.reutegger@gmx.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:16 AM
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: RowIterator.next() fails when hasNext() returns true

Hi Brad,

are you able to extract this into simple test program without dependencies to your application?
that would be great.

regards
  marcel

Fitzgibbons, Brad wrote:
> Yes, it's threadsafe.  Each visit to the URL invokes the resourceQueryAndPrint() method.
 This method is wrapped in a JTA transaction, and results in the following actions:
>     (1) Execute a new SQL query on the JCR session (using spring-modules to provide session).
>     (2) Create a new instance of PropertyIterator which wraps the RowIterator from the
query.
>     (3) Perform the loop as shown and print some of the metadata from each element in
the result set.
>         (a) Each call to PropertyIterator.hasNext() delegates to RowIterator.hasNext().
>         (a) Each call to PropertyIterator.next() will marshall data from the Row returned
by RowIterator.next() into a DTO.

> Here's an example of the SQL query (with actual property names and node primary type
changed):
>     select A,B,C,D from custom_type where (A='A1' or A='A2' or A='A3')
> and (contains(B, 'XXX') or contains(C, 'XXX')) order by D
>
> Changing the properties in the select clause or the order by clause (but leaving the
where clause as-is) will sometimes produce iterators that do not have the hasNext/next behavior
I've described.

is it possible that two threads concurrently call hasNext/next?
> is PropertyIterator in ProfileController an instance variable?
>
> regards
>   marcel
>
> Fitzgibbons, Brad wrote:
>> Yes.  My loop breaks down to this:
>>
>> while (iterator.hasNext()) {
>>    Object obj = iterator.next();
>> }
>>
>> However, if I do this instead I get (what appears to be) "normal" behavior (except
that getSize() is often much less than the actual result set size):

>> while (iterator.hasNext()) {
>>     try {
>>         Object obj = iterator.next();
>>     } catch (NoSuchElementException excp) { /* masked */ } }
>>
>> Thanks!
>> brad

node. so whenever you call hasNext() and it returns true LazyScoreNodeIterator already has
the next node and does not have to fetch it on nextRow().

>> Can you please double check that you always call hasNext() before you
>> call
>> nextRow() ?
>>
>> regards
>>   marcel
>>
>> Fitzgibbons, Brad wrote:
>>> I'm running into this problem occasionally resulting in the
>>> exception below.  I'm using Jackrabbit 1.4 (with core at 1.4.2).
>>> I'm using the H2PersistenceManager and almost all configuration
>>> values are set to their released default. Document order is turned
>>> off so the query is using a LazyScoreNodeIterator.  I'm running in a
>>> transactional environment, and my entire execution flow is contained
>>> by a single, read-only, JTA transaction.  The single transaction
>>> includes executing the query and all interactions with the returned
>>> RowIterator.  If I ignore the NoSuchElementException's and continue
>>> using the iterator then there are often good results subsequent to
>>> the error.  I've noticed that when these errors occur there are
>>> often far more results than are returned by RowIterator.getSize().
>>> I realize that getSize() is not meant to be an accurate count of all
>>> results, but in most other cases getSize() is greater than the size
>>> of the result set (this may not be helpful).  I'm using
>>  a SQL query that involves the CONTAINS constraint (so lucene) and ordering by jcr:score.
 Does this warrant a bug submission?  Is there any additional information which might help?
>>> org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Request processing failed;
nested exception is java.util.NoSuchElementException