jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@day.com>
Subject Re: JackRabbit Caching: BundleCache vs ItemManager vs CacheManager
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:24:57 GMT
hi sean

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 7:11 PM, sbarriba <sbarriba@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Marcel et al,
> 3 suggestions come to mind from this (perhaps for the develop list):
>
> 1) the ItemManager should be using Soft References rather than Weak
> References otherwise a PooledSessionInView pattern is not really effective
> as, pooled (but unused) sessions have their caches cleared immediately by
> the GC (using weak references).

ItemManager cashes ItemImpl instances. the 'cache' guarantees that there's
no more than 1 ItemImpl instance per item id and session. weak references
are ideal for this task. ItemManager is not meant to be a 'cache'
since ItemImpl
instance creation is IMO not performance critical. i remember that i once
experimented with soft references but they tended to fill the heap pretty fast
since soft references are typically cleared only when you're near an
OOM error...

ItemState caches are a different matter. LocalItemStateManager and
SharedItemStateManager do cache ItemState instances for performance
reasons. please take a look at the javadoc which should explain
why they're using weak references internally instead of soft references:

http://jackrabbit.apache.org/api/1.4/org/apache/jackrabbit/core/state/ItemStateReferenceCache.html

cheers
stefan