jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Harris" <michael.e.har...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: general state of webdav client support in jackrabbit
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:19:49 GMT
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:16 AM, Angela Schreiber <anchela@day.com> wrote:

> Michael Harris wrote:
>
>> Is the webdav-client part package of jackrabbit solid?
>>

> what do you mean by solid?

for example, it seems the SearchMethod is not supported by the
SimpleWebdavServlet.

> I can't find any
> documentation whatsoever on how to use any of the DavMethod classes in that
> package.

in the trunk there is a package.html that explains how
> to use the methods. hope that helps... if i remember
> correctly it also refers to the apache-httpclient docu.

It might say something to the effect that the Method implementations are
intended to be used with HttpClient, but there is absolutely no information
in the api as to how to do simple things.  At least there should be
something on the wiki.  The webdav wiki entry is severely lacking useful
information.

Im thinking examples on how to list the contents of a repo, how to put a
file in the repo using webdav client, etc.

>   Sure I can execute them in a HttpClient instance, but there is
>> nothing explaining the semantics of the methods.
>>

> the semantics are defined by the WebDAV RFCs. or do you
> mean something else?

Yes they are defined by the RFC, but going to the RFC to figure out simple
things makes using this api prohibitive.  There is nothing useful revealed
by google, and even searching for slide examples isn't useful because the
client api has changed.

--
Michael Harris