jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Question on scalability
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:46:03 GMT
Hi Paul,

Paul Kling wrote:
> I am currently working on a project that has the need to store 100
> million images every year. We tend to keep the images for around 18
> months. So at any one time we will have about 150 million images in the
> repository. The question I have is does this sound reasonable to store
> this quantity of images in JackRabbit or does this sound scary? I worry
> about retrieval of the items.

it doesn't sound scary to me, though I have to admit that I never worked with a
repository of that size. I've seen repositories that contain around 10 million
nodes without any issues.

> I also noticed there is a clustering feature but the documentation
> seemed to point you to using the DB for file storage. We have been down
> the route of letting the DB store file data in the past and it has never
> turned out to be something that worked well and I don't think I can get
> people convinced of again.

jackrabbit does not store the complete file in the database, it stores the
contents of a file in a data store [1]. the database will only contain a
reference into the data store.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DataStore

regards
  marcel