jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Looking for direction...
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:54:09 GMT
Hi Al,

jackrabbit (or JCR in general) might be a good fit because you get a lot of
features out of the box:

- hierarchical storage
- (fulltext) query
- observation of changes
- versioning

for a web framework that nicely works with JCR have a look at apache sling [1].

regards
  marcel

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/sling/

Al Waltrip wrote:
> Good Day Gentlemen/women,
> I'm getting back into Java after a 5 year layoff (literally, not figuratively) and would
like some input on the best/easiest/quickest way to implement what I would describe (possibly
erroneously) as an "active database".  I'd like to be able to do the following:
> - Have my application query a table, say employee and select the employee id, name, address
and salary.
> - Once my application updates the employee's salary, I'd like to be able to notify (broadcast)
a message to all the other instances of my application that the salary has been updated.
This might be a servlet based web app or multiple running instances of a java application.

> My question is what's the best/easiest framework to adopt to meet this objective.  Do
I need Jackrabbit, EJB, Hivemind, Spring, none of the above?