jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@day.com>
Subject Re: jcr2spi<->spi-rmi<->spi2jcr<->jackrabbit-core config?
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:00:24 GMT
hi lennard

the spi-rmi is currently still in the sandbox, since
we didn't spent time on optimization yet.

if you are looking for an example setup, you may start
with the 'getRepository()' method defined with
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/sandbox/spi/client/src/test/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/jcr2spi/JCR2SPI2JCROverRMIRepositoryStub.java

the jcr2spi code can be found at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit-jcr2spi

the rmi-spi code
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/sandbox/spi/spi-rmi

the spi2jcr code
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit-spi2jcr

minimal intro as follows:

- jcr2spi-Repository takes a RepositoryConfig
- the most important part of the configuration is the RepositoryService
- RepositoryService is the main interface defined by the SPI.

running the setup you mention, you need to create a RepositoryConfig
that returns the ClientRepositoryService of spi-rmi which itself
was created with a remote RepositoryService wrapping whatever
spi implementation.

hope that helps
angela

Lennard Fuller wrote:
> I happened across Jukka Zitting's web page in which he announced some of the new features
in Jackrabbit 1.4.  In particular, this paragraph was of interest.

> "Service provider interface for JCR. The jackrabbit-spi component defines an architectural
layer below the JCR API. The SPI layer is designed specifically for remote access and outlines
a way for us to avoid the performance limitations of JCR-RMI that works on top of JCR."

> This is because I have JCR client applications which are currently accessing the JCR
via JCR-RMI.  With a significant amount of client side caching the performance is acceptable
for our current usage... but only just.  The prospect of accessing the JCR external to that
JCR's JVM in a reasonably performant fashion is very exciting.

> Looking at the mailing list I can see references to a method of getting remote access
to a JCR using SPI and RMI.

> Marcel mentioned the following alternative:
> jcr2spi<->spi-rmi<->spi2jcr<->jackrabbit-core
>
> Thus far I have been unable to find any How to, Readme or wiki page which covers this
particular configuration.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Is there another
configuration I should consider first?