jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Steve Cameron <s...@utas.edu.au>
Subject Re: Managing email within a JSR-170 repository
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:07:55 GMT

robert burrell donkin-2 wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 4:39 AM, paksegu <paksegu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Pls read this post know the Apache james an email server whereby the one
>> the JCR commiters Jukka hooked it a up to a JCR backend
>>
>> http://dev.day.com/microsling/content/blogs/main/jcrmail.html
>
> there's quite a lot of interest in a serious, fully functional backing
> of JAMES by JCR. (this is next on my personal agenda once i've
> completed the IMAP implementation.)
>
>> From: Steve Cameron <sc04@utas.edu.au>
>> Subject: Managing email within a JSR-170 repository
>> To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
>> Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 10:20 PM
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am just starting to investigate JSR-170, so apologies if this request
>> is
>> slightly out of scope.
>>
>> Are there any free/open-source examples of JSR-170 being used for
>> managing
>> email (similar to MS Exchange Server) and with an associated client
>> application?
>
> what would you expect from the client?
>
>> I am interested to use an ECM system, but am picturing a solution that
>> handles email as well as other document types and so allows content
>> searches
>> to include emails.
>
> content searches in mail is an interesting topic :-)
>
> i'm interested in a hetrogeneous MIME-aware mail store (using mail in
> the board) with good support for faceting searching. i'd like to mash
> messages of various types (including  ATOM feeds: a little little a
> super planet) and allow output through various protocols.
>
> - robert

Thanks for you replies folks,

client', i am interested in knowledge management, so, to be able to treat
email in the same manner as this forum handles posts is probably what I'm
looking for, in other words, an ongoing conversation is recorded and viewed
as a tree of nodes.  Of course this happens currently via forwarding of, and
replying to, email.

The above version tracking and branching scenario would not be foreign to a
JSR-170 repository, I guess, but how you could integrate that with a email
server I don't know.

If a mail client was conventional then just to be able to periodically
export a mail server JSR-170 repository across to an enterprise one
(containing other document types) would be the goal. Then the email docs
could be searched via JSR-170 functionality.

Its early days for me on this, so there is a definitely work for me to get
up to speed (to just understand what you've written :) ), but I may have a
chance to work on these kinds of issues in my new role, so what was
previously an academic interest (in knowledge management) may become more
practical.