jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "sbarriba" <sbarr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: Scalability of using "reference" properties
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:20:57 GMT
Hi all,

Are there plans to improve the efficiency of the implementation of
references between nodes in JackRabbit or is it considered best practise NOT
to use references at all?

Based on our experiences any use of references will eventually hurt
performance as the node set grows. It's a shame as references are really
useful and the alternatives move the emphasis to the application to enforce
node-to-node dependencies, which personally I think is wrong.

Regards,

Shaun

From: sbarriba [mailto:sbarriba@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: 15 April 2008 14:14
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Scalability of using "reference" properties

Hi all,

Last year David Nuescheler provided some very useful data modelling rules -
1 of which related to the use of "reference" properties.

We had various, reasonable, use cases for which we felt references were
appropriate e.g. to ensure referential integrity. While semantically they've
worked well for us, as our repositories grow in size we're now seeing how
expensive references can be where you have 1,000's of items referencing the
same node. Monitoring our SQL logs (on MySql) we can see some pretty huge
database operations which are getting incrementally slower as more and more
items reference a node.

Ignoring the data modelling semantic of using "reference" properties for the
moment, is there anything that can be done in order to improve the
performance of references or do you always have to design with this
limitation in mind (hindsight being very useful)?

We're facing a tricky remodelling/migration exercise to ensure further
scalability.

Regards,

Shaun