jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using javascript to access content
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:06:03 GMT
Hi Luis,

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Luis Gervaso <luis.gervaso@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I'm considering use javascript to access content repository (the same way
> that is specified in Sling)
>
> But I don't know what is the real impact related to SEO (Search Engine
> Optimization) since the spider / crawler
> maybe a simple HTTP client and the content will be hidden cause the
> javascript....

Since you've been looking at Sling, you might have noticed the (still
experimental) JST templates module [1]. The goal is as you mention, to
handle presentation in client-side javascript while producing a
search-engine compatible html page.

The JST engine produces an HTML page with the default Sling HTML
rendering included in a <div> with a specific ID (exposing the content
to search engines), and the javascript code (generated server-side
based on JSP-like templates) removes this <div> and injects the
user-defined presentation instead.

That's the idea, but the JST output is not up to this description at
the moment, but I'm working on that right now, hoping to have
something better by tomorrow. Watch the SLING-466 issue for news, and
if you find this interesting let's move the discussion back to the
Sling list. The JST engine is currently tied to Sling, but it could
probably be refactored to be used independently.

-Bertrand

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sling/trunk/scripting/jst