jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Handling many versions, disposing/swapping out old ones
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:41:48 GMT
Hi Sven!

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Sven Schliesing
<schliesing@subshell.com> wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> while our repository grows, we are experiencing a fast growing version
> storage, too.
>
> Some Nodes have a rather large history (30000 and more). This is slowing
> down the system when creating new version.

Wow, what use case do you have? 30000 sounds like the versions are
created by an automated system. Is it equally possible that one of
those thousands of old revisions are restored? Or displayed in a
whatever kind of version history?

JCR is generally targeted at user-generated content (think CMS), where
versions map more or less directly to user actions.

> We are using Jackrabbit 1.3 and already applied some patches to improve the
> version-store performance: JCR-975, JCR-1209 and JCR-1421.
>
> Now I'd like to know about your experiences with a large version store.

Not sure if anyone has ever done such a large store...

> Is performance much better with jackrabbit 1.4 or even 1.5?

Nothing so far in trunk, and AFAIK there hasn't been changes in 1.4
related to versioning performance (but not sure, anyone else maybe?).

> Is there a tested
> approach to dispose old versions or even better to swap out those old
> versions to another store? Just for the case where you'd want to restore a
> version that is rather old.

IMHO you should either reduce the number of versions that are stored
or remove unneeded old versions from time-to-time.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek