jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Custom PersistenceManagers - How can I get the path associated with a NodeId?
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:32:06 GMT
On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:03 AM, Ard Schrijvers
<a.schrijvers@onehippo.com> wrote:
> Nodes in Jackrabbit do not have hierarchical information like its path,
> but only its parent and its children. Storing path information like you
> suggest might be handy in some parts, though at the same time makes
> moving large subtrees almost impossible (at least very cpu and time
> consuming): currently, moving a subtree of nodes is a very small
> operation in jackrabbit. If you would store all hierarchical data the
> way you suggest, you cannot easily move nodes anymore.

If the underlying storage (here probably a standard file system) has
its own abstraction (eg. inodes) for the hierarchical information,
moving subtrees (= folders) is not a problem.

And it depends on whether moving subtrees is an important use case -
vs. retrieving nodes by path.

Regards,
Alex

--