jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit version numbers/names
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:55:36 GMT
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Pulla Venkat <pcsri1956@gmail.com> wrote:
>> version numbers in jackrabbit appear like 1.1,1.2,1.3 etc.  not like 1,2,3
>> etc.. For our application version numbers should like 1.0,2.0 etc. we may
>> convert numbers 1.1 ,1.2 etc to 1.0 ,2.0 .
>>
>> When does jackrabbit allow 1.0 to 2.0 transition in version name. Does this
>> happen in any scenario?
>> I couldn't understand the logic for version names being 1.1 ,1.2 etc.  Is
>> 1.2.1 ,1.2.1.1 etc also possible.
>
> We use a MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH version numbering scheme:

I think Pulla refers to the version numbering in the JCR API, not the
Jackrabbit release versioning scheme. Which I find to be weird, too,
since the leading "1." never changes and is redundant information.
It's not a difficult thing for an application to remove that prefix
for displaying simpler version numbers or to simply count the versions
themselves, but I wonder if there was any reason for this decision. A
future feature maybe? Something like branching?

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek