jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: it is possible to encrypt the document in the repository?
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:49:33 GMT
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Paco Avila <pavila@git.es> wrote:
> I want to ecnrypt the documents stored in the jackrabbit repository but
> i have a big problem: if I store an encrypted stream, the text
> extractors will fail to extract info from this encrypted stream. So, how
> can I store these encrypted documents and get indexed?

AFAIK it is technically not possible in Jackrabbit, since the indexing
always works "inside" Jackrabbit, after you stored a property (which
should already be encrypted) and saved it. There is no way of
post-processing the property after the indexing ran. Actually, the
indexer needs to be able to index data that is stored in a persistence
manager already, for example upon re-indexing if the index is broken
or in a cluster situation.

Anyway, if you would be able to index those encrypted documents, the
lucene index would contain unencrypted words from the document - which
is probably not what you want. So this is also a conceptual issue...
which would be the same if you did your own application-level indexing
for those documents. The ideal solution would be an index that is
itself encrypted and only accessible with the proper encryption key.
But you have to implement this yourself, I think this would require a
major change to Jackrabbit.

Regards,
Alex

--