jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: architecture/design of content-centric applications
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 13:18:31 GMT
The classic starting point is David NĂ¼scheler's (JCR spec lead)
content-modeling guide:

http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel

You should design the data model not based on the application code,
but from a content standpoint: what belongs together, what is
read/written together most of the time and how can it be organized
effectively. The latter can always be verified by how easy it is to
browse through the content tree as a human. And the hierarchical data
model (together with less-strict typing, eg. nt:unstructured) gives
you freedom to change the model later (eg. introduce another entity,
ie. folder) - you are not forced to design the perfect model up-front,
as you are more-or-less forced with relational database schemas.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek