jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Ard Schrijvers" <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject RE: Custom PersistenceManagers - How can I get the path associated with a NodeId?
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 08:03:48 GMT
Jerome Banks wrote:

> However, the methods provided to PersistenceManager only seem
> to pass in NodeId or PropertyId, which don't seem to have a
> path, but simply a UUID.
> It looks like various components in Jackrabbit are able to
> store items on the filesystem, but they do so by chopping up
> the UUID, and creating their own path.  Is there any reason
> we couldn't just use the Node's path to start out with?  From

Nodes in Jackrabbit do not have hierarchical information like its path,
but only its parent and its children. Storing path information like you
suggest might be handy in some parts, though at the same time makes
moving large subtrees almost impossible (at least very cpu and time
consuming): currently, moving a subtree of nodes is a very small
operation in jackrabbit. If you would store all hierarchical data the
way you suggest, you cannot easily move nodes anymore.

-Ard