jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Wade Girard <wade.gir...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: newb performance question
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2008 15:53:11 GMT
My goal is to compare jackrabbit to our current configuration of using
slide, and hopefully be able to just replace slide with little code
change/impact on code, and hopefully improve performance.

We currently run slide under jetty and store xml, png, jgp, txt, and
one dtd file in the repository.

I set up a brand new install of Jetty, I added jackrabbit to jetty,
then created a new repository using the standard jackrabbit-webapp-1.4
webapp. I then checked out everything from our current slide
repository using cadaver, and then added all these files into
jackrabbit, again using cadaver.

I did it this way so that I could write a script, using cadaver, to
checkout all the files from the slide repository and from the
jackrabbit repository, and compare how long each took to perform this
action. slide currently performs a complete get of all the files in
roughly 35 seconds, jackrabbit takes nearly 10 minutes, and I can see
from the logs that the snag is on the larger xml files.

That said, I had never used WEBDAV until a week ago, I am new to all
this, another developer did the initial implementation of slide in our
product. So I am new to this, and my be hopping down the wrong bunny
trail (sorry for the pun), or asking the wrong questions. I just want/
need jackrabbit to work via WEBDAV as good/better than slide can now,
so that we can replace slide with jackrabbit.

We prefer to stick with derby for the database, we like that approach.
If I can tweak something in the repository.xml to have jackrabbit
treat xml/everything as binary, that is fine, or if I need to write a
custom importer in java to check everything in in binary, that is fine
too. I am just looking for the correct answer.

Does this make sense?

Thanks, Wade

Wade Girard
wade.girard@gmail.com