jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Scott Dietrich <sc...@minutestopost.com>
Subject Mac OS X WebDAV and mime type question
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:39:52 GMT
Hello,

I've been doing some tests with Mac OS X 10.4 and Jackrabbit's
SimpleWebdavServlet. It looks like when many apps on the Mac (I think
it affects all apps that use the Cocoa libs for file save operations)
save a file the following happens:

* The original file is moved to a backup file name (e.g. "xxx.txt"
moved to "xxx~.txt")
* A temp file ending with ".dat" is created containing the updated
file data
* This ".dat" temp file is moved to the original file name (e.g.
"xxx.txt")
* The backup file is removed (or possibly not, I suppose, based on
user preferences)

This is somewhat simplified, there are actually a number of other
steps (lock, unlock, etc.) but it gives the general idea.

The problem is that a file will have the correct mime type when it is
originally uploaded, but is given an incorrect mime type after a file
is saved due to the ".dat" temp file name extension. Also, because a
new file is created with the incorrect mime type, none of the text
extractors run and the file isn't indexed.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? If so, what is the best way to
work around it?

I've managed to work around the problem by patching the doMove method
of AbstractWebdavServlet, however it seems fairly awkward because I
need access to private methods and data in AbstractWebdavServlet.
There doesn't seem to be an easy way to simply override the method in
my own servlet. Is there a policy regarding patches to deal with the
quirks of individual DAV clients?

Thanks,
Scott