jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit version numbers/names
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:11:48 GMT

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Pulla Venkat <pcsri1956@gmail.com> wrote:
> version numbers in jackrabbit appear like 1.1,1.2,1.3 etc.  not like 1,2,3
> etc.. For our application version numbers should like 1.0,2.0 etc. we may
> convert numbers 1.1 ,1.2 etc to 1.0 ,2.0 .
> When does jackrabbit allow 1.0 to 2.0 transition in version name. Does this
> happen in any scenario?
> I couldn't understand the logic for version names being 1.1 ,1.2 etc.  Is
> 1.2.1 , etc also possible.

We use a MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH version numbering scheme:

The MAJOR version number is increased when there are major API or
architectural changes that may well require client applications to be
changed or at least verified that they still work correctly. The
foreseeable MAJOR version number upgrades (Jackrabbit 2.x and 3.x) are
the upgrade to JCR 2.0 and a potential switch to a new internal
persistence architecture. See the discussions on the dev@ mailing list
for more details.

The MINOR version number is increased when new features or
improvements are introduced. These upgrades should be fully backwards
compatible, but may require some configuration changes or other manual
setup (reindexing, etc.) described in the release notes. We are
currently working on Jackrabbit 1.5 and will possibly also release
Jackrabbit 1.6 before going to 2.0.

The PATCH version number is increased for releases that only contain
bug fixes. It's possible to upgrade to a patch release simply by
replacing the upgraded Jackrabbit jar files and restarting the

Note that by convention we have dropped the final .0 patch number from
minor releases, so for example the "1.4.0" release is called "1.4" and
the "2.0.0" release will be called "2.0".

Jukka Zitting

View raw message