jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: it is possible to encrypt the document in the repository?
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:15:38 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Paco Avila <pavila@git.es> wrote:
> I want to ecnrypt the documents stored in the jackrabbit repository but
> i have a big problem: if I store an encrypted stream, the text
> extractors will fail to extract info from this encrypted stream. So, how
> can I store these encrypted documents and get indexed?

Store unencrypted copies of the documents in the repository.

What's the reason for storing the documents encrypted? If it's
security-related, note that even if users wouldn't have direct access
to the underlying index files, they'd still be able to deduce much of
the document contents by carefully crafted queries against the
repository. For example
/jcr:root/path/to/document[jcr:contains(.,'foo')] tells if a document
contains "foo".

If you still want to do this, one alternative would of course be to
write a custom text extractor that knows how to decrypt the documents
before passing them to the normal text extractors.

BR,

Jukka Zitting