jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: storing a lot of values
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:36:22 GMT
Hi,

Yan Georget wrote:
> I am facing the following problem: I want to store and update a lot (say 500
> 000) of values eg Longs. Is it better to: - store each value as a property of
> a node, in which case I'll have a lot of nodes and Lucene will spend a lot of
> time indexing.

how often are those values updated? An initial import will certainly take time,
but if you update the values only occasionally that shouldn't be a problem.

> or to: - use a multi valued property, in which case I don't
> know how to update a single value without updating the entire array of
> values.

that's how it is specified and implemented in Jackrabbit. Updating just a single
value is not possible.

> This brings me to the following question: why isn't there a method on multi
> valued properties to update one of the values of the array?

I guess the EG did not consider such a use case with thousands of values for a
multi-valued property.

How about breaking the values up and distribute them across a small node
hierarchy? Is there any inherent structure in the value series that you can take
advantage of?

regards
  marcel