jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "sbarriba" <sbarr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Locking issues with XAItemStateManager - help appreciated
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:16:13 GMT
Hi all,

As follow up to a previous thread we're seeing lots and lots of contention
around the following lock. We're using Weblogic 9.1 / JRocket 27.4.0 (1.5).

Even with very little load on the app a thread dump shows active threads at
exactly this point. As the concurrent load increases the contention
increases until the app is continually thrashing on these locks and stops
responding.

Is there a way to configure JackRabbit to reduce the amount of locking?

For example, I note the use of XAItemStateManager in the stack - is there an
alternative ItemStateManager implementation which requires less locking?

All help appreciated.

Regards,

Shaun

"[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '36' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default
(self-tuning)'" id=133 idx=0x20c tid=6426 prio=5 alive, in native, daemon

    at jrockit/vm/Locks.monitorEnterUnmatched(Ljava/lang/Object;)V(Native
Method)

    at
EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/WriterPreferenceReadWriteLock$ReaderLock.ac
quire()V(Unknown Source)

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/state/DefaultISMLocking$ReadLockImpl.<init>(Defau
ltISMLocking.java:103)

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/state/DefaultISMLocking$ReadLockImpl.<init>(Defau
ltISMLocking.java:97)

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/state/DefaultISMLocking.acquireReadLock(DefaultIS
MLocking.java:65)

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/state/SharedItemStateManager.acquireReadLock(Shar
edItemStateManager.java:1438)[inlined]

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/state/SharedItemStateManager.getItemState(SharedI
temStateManager.java:237)[optimized]

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/state/LocalItemStateManager.getPropertyState(Loca
lItemStateManager.java:118)[inlined]

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/state/LocalItemStateManager.getItemState(LocalIte
mStateManager.java:150)[inlined]

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/state/XAItemStateManager.getItemState(XAItemState
Manager.java:226)[optimized]

    ^-- Holding lock:
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/state/XAItemStateManager@0x3ea1ae88[thin lock]

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/state/SessionItemStateManager.getItemState(Sessio
nItemStateManager.java:175)[optimized]

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/ItemManager.createItemInstance(ItemManager.java:5
64)[inlined]

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/ItemManager.getItem(ItemManager.java:395)[inlined
]

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/LazyItemIterator.prefetchNext(LazyItemIterator.ja
va:90)[inlined]

    at
org/apache/jackrabbit/core/LazyItemIterator.next(LazyItemIterator.java:203)[
optimized]

    ^-- Holding lock: org/apache/jackrabbit/core/ItemManager@0x3ea1a4c0[thin
lock]