jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Pierre Leman" <pierre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Writing a SPI Connector to an existing PostgreSQL database using JackRabbit SPI
Date Wed, 21 May 2008 10:20:54 GMT
Hi Angela,

First, thank you for your useful help. I was wondering if there were someone
able to help me. But I was fortunately wrong.
Concerning the last question, I have understood that the SPI component,
making part of the JackRabbit Project, share also it's philosophy in
separating the transient layer (node and property) from the persistent layer
where the data actually stored (database, filesystem, etc ...).
Which I don't understand here is how the communication between the SPI and
the database have to be made. I was wondering if it involved the Postgresql
Persistence Manager (and in this case, if the persistence should be managed
manually or if it was taken automatically into account by a SPI built-in
functionality).
This question make sense in the perspective for example of an implementation
of the getNodeInfo method. I was thinking here of making a mapping of the
node's notion from the transient perspective to the notion of database table
in the persistent perspective, which means here that I don't make any
abstraction of the underlying data storage (the PostgreSQL database).
The problem here is that I am unable to find another solution which don't
make any hypothesis on the underlying data storage. Moreover, I don't
understand how to write a SPI connector which no take into consideration the
datasource on which it aims to provide a JCR abstraction.
Maybe I misunderstood the notion of SPI and its possible application as part
of the writing of a SPI connector and it is what I try to know.

Best regards,
Pierre