jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@day.com>
Subject Re: Shutdown hooks and classloader leak
Date Wed, 28 May 2008 12:52:35 GMT
On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Roman Puchkovskiy
<roman.puchkovskiy@blandware.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Some classes in Jackrabbit (for instance, TransientFileFactory) always
> register shutdown hooks. So, if jackrabbit classes were loaded by web-app
> classloader, they will not be released when web-app is undeployed. Looks
> like this should lead to classloader leak.
> Am I missing something? And if this causes leaks, is there way to cancel
> such hooks when undeploying web-application?

is this a pure theoretical issue or have you actually experienced
"out of perm space" errors?

i agree with your analysis that the addShutdownHook call in
TransientFileFactory is a potential classloader related memory
leak. however, so far i haven't heard of any "out of perm space"
reports.

OTOH, if this is a real world issue we should probably address it.

BTW: TransientFileFactory is part of jcr-commons which could/should
be deployed as a shared library.

cheers
stefan