jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@day.com>
Subject Re: exception on webapp restart
Date Wed, 21 May 2008 08:25:26 GMT
hi torgeir

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:17 AM, Torgeir Veimo <torgeir@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 20 May 2008, at 21:38, Torgeir Veimo wrote:
>
>> 21:32:45,149 ERROR RepositoryImpl  - failed to start Repository: Cannot
>> instantiate persistence manager
>> org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.db.DerbyPersistenceManager: Failed to start
>> database '/Users/torgeir/java/content/jcr/version/db', see the next
>> exception for details.
>> javax.jcr.RepositoryException: Cannot instantiate persistence manager
>> org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.db.DerbyPersistenceManager: Failed to start
>> database '/Users/torgeir/java/content/jcr/version/db', see the next
>> exception for details.: Failed to start database
>> '/Users/torgeir/java/content/jcr/version/db', see the next exception for
>> details.
>

> Bump!
>
> How can I extract the particular reason for the exception in this case?

you can call SQLException#nextException(); note that SQLException
implements a proprietary exception chaining mechansism since the
'standard' exception chaining feature was only introduced in jdk 1.4.

in order to debug your issue you could e.g.  traverse the exception chain
of the RepositoryException thrown on login (by calling Throwable#getCause)
until you reach the SQLException; you could then call
SQLException#nextException...

however, you might also be able to find the root cause in your derby.log file.

BTW: your issue seems to be quite common. google returned a number
of similar stack traces. what derby version are you using? it might
also be related to the open file limit, in which case you should see
a 'too many open files' entry in your debry.log.

cheers
sefan