jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Conoly, Brett" <Brett.Con...@digitalinsight.com>
Subject RE: Event Listeners?
Date Tue, 27 May 2008 12:23:56 GMT
Well I'm not certain but I believe we're using a jca connector to
connect to the repository via rmi.  Would this be a jackrabbit
configuration or another?  And if you happen to know where this
configuration is that would be great.
Thanks for the response,
Brett

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Reutegger [mailto:marcel.reutegger@gmx.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4:08 AM
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: Event Listeners?

Hi,

Conoly, Brett wrote:
> The way that I'm registering the event listener right now, I'm opening
> session and then closing it through a try...finally block.

this way, you will never get events because all event listeners that
were
registered by a session are unregistered on Session.logout(). If you
still get
events then that's actually a bug.

> When I close this session does it send a signal to this background
> thread telling it to finish up, or is it just sitting in limbo?

This depends on your setup (JCA, RMI, JCR2SPI). If you are just using a
local
jackrabbit repository, then a Session.logout() will remove an event
consumer
from the workspace wide ObservationDispatcher, which contains a
background
thread for event notification. but this thread is tied to the workspace
and not
to a session.

I don't know how events are dispatched using RMI, but Jukka might shed
some
light on this.

> And if I do have to keep a reference to a session for the life of the
> repository and/or the event listener, is there a way that I can
increase
> the number of connections that the repository allows?

Just using plain jackrabbit-core the only limiting factor is heap
memory. Using
JCA, there is a configuration parameter that limits the number of
sessions that
can be opened, IIRC.

regards
  marcel