jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jared Graber" <jared.gra...@IACcap.com>
Subject RE: Database backed repositories
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:32:47 GMT

From: stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com [mailto:stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com]
On Behalf Of Stefan Guggisberg
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:26 AM
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: Database backed repositories

hi jared

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:14 PM, Jared Graber <jared.graber@iaccap.com>
wrote:
> I'm trying to find some best practices for repository configuration:
>

>  I need my data (nodes, properties, ,etc) to be stored in a DB so
>  obviously I would use a database persistence manager.
>
>  Does it matter if I use a local file system or db file system?  What
>  gets stored in the "filesystem"?

repository content (i.e. nodes & properties) are persisted through the
PersistenceManager abstraction.

repository 'meta data' and configurations (e.g. registered namespaces,
custom node type definitions,  locks, workspace configurations)
are persisted through the FileSystem abstraction.

the only notable exception is the lucene index which is always persisted
in the local file system (for performance reasons and since it's
recoverable).

WRT to using DbFileSystem:

pro: if you configure jackrabbit to store everything in a single db you
can
backup an entire repository easily.

con: since config files etc are stored in the db it's not that easy
anymore to
manipulate/edit them (should you ever need to do so ;)

hope this helps
stefan