jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Conoly, Brett" <Brett.Con...@digitalinsight.com>
Subject RE: Version.getPredecessors()?
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:38:57 GMT
Cool, that helps a lot, thanks for the quick and detailed response.
One question I did have though, in the api for
VersionHistory.getAllVersions() it actually says that they will not
necessarily be in order, is this referring to the branching you were
talking about?  We do have the simplest case btw, and the version
history should always be linear.
Brett

-----Original Message-----
From: ppiegaze@day.com [mailto:ppiegaze@day.com] On Behalf Of Peeter
Piegaze
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 11:24 AM
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: Version.getPredecessors()?

Hi Brett,

What you want to do is:

VersionHistory h = n.getVersionHistory();
VersionIterator i = h.getAllVersions();
// iterate over all the Versions

The method Version.getPredecessors() only returns the *immediate*
predecessors of a given version. It is pluralized to allow for the
case where a single version has more than one predecessor, i.e., a
merge within the version graph. In the simplest case (and apparently
your case) each version only has one immediate predecessor.

Similarly, the method Version.getBaseVersion() returns the most recent
version in the simplest case of a linear version history. In general
the base version, however, may not be literally the most recently
created version. For example, if you initally have a version graph:

v1 -> v2 -> v3*

v3 is the most recent AND the base version

if you restore v2 to the workspace, it becomes the base version

v1 -> v2* -> v3

at this point v3 is still the most recent version but v2 is the base
version.

The reason for doing this is that if you now make a change to the ws
node and check it in it will create a successor to v2, thus creating a
branch:

v1 -> v2 -> v3
           |---> v4*

At this point base and most recent again coincide in v4.

However, as  said, all this branching and merging may not apply to
your case, but that's the reason for the naming of these entities.

Hope this helps,

Peeter Piegaze