jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "sbarriba" <sbarr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Scalability of using "reference" properties
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:14:02 GMT
Hi all,

Last year David Nuescheler provided some very useful data modelling rules -
1 of which related to the use of "reference" properties.

We had various, reasonable, use cases for which we felt references were
appropriate e.g. to ensure referential integrity. While semantically they've
worked well for us, as our repositories grow in size we're now seeing how
expensive references can be where you have 1,000's of items referencing the
same node. Monitoring our SQL logs (on MySql) we can see some pretty huge
database operations which are getting incrementally slower as more and more
items reference a node.

Ignoring the data modelling semantic of using "reference" properties for the
moment, is there anything that can be done in order to improve the
performance of references or do you always have to design with this
limitation in mind (hindsight being very useful)?

We're facing a tricky remodelling/migration exercise to ensure further
scalability.

Regards,

Shaun