jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Greg Klebus" <g...@klebus.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] jackrabbit-core 1.4.1 released
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:49:26 GMT
Hi

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>  On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:06 AM, sktkaur <sumanjeet23@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  Now i want to know what to do after running repository?
>  >  How to proceed further?
>  >  I know that:
>  >  "Using a content repository allows an application to deal with an
>  >  arbitrarily large hierarchical space in a scalable manner automatically
>  >  profiting from the repository services such as versioning, query,
>  >  transactions or namespaces which make a content repository an ideal data
>  >  store for many applications".
>  >  How a content repository can be seen as a data storage?
>  >  How to store,retrive and change data?
>
>  The easiest way to get started with that is to mount the WebDAV view
>  of the default workspace as a network disk to your file system. If you
>  have the Jackrabbit webapp running, you should see the WebDAV
>  instructions when you point your browser to the webapp.
>
>  Alternatively, you can use the "Populate" and "Search" features of the
>  Jackrabbit webapp to experiment with the repository.

I agree with Jukka here. If you want to use the repository, the first
steps I'd recommend are the following

- use WebDAV to store and access the content (desktop integration)
- use Search to find the content
- use a content browser to view / edit the content on JCR level
(nodes, properties, nodetypes etc). For this, you currently need an
external application (see wiki page [1])

Current rough plans for Jackrabbit 1.5 should lower the barrier to
start using the repository for the first time users (self-runnable
jar, content browser, etc), I think it's the right focus.

>  >  What are the steps to proceed?
>
>  Once you've done the above steps, you should take a look at the JCR
>  specification to see how you can achieve the above operations (and
>  much more) programmatically using the JCR API.

The First Hops page [2] comes to mind if you want to start writing
applications for JCR, after you've learned about the standard itself.

Also, the SLING project [3] (currently in incubator) comes to mind to
jump-start web development on top of JCR repository - "Discover Sling
in 15 minutes" [4] is a nice introduction here.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/JcrLinks
[2] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/first-hops.html
[3] http://incubator.apache.org/sling/
[4] http://incubator.apache.org/sling/site/discover-sling-in-15-minutes.html