jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From paksegu <paks...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: UUID Generation
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:59:56 GMT

schrifty <schrifty@gmail.com> wrote:

Thomas Mueller-6 wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I need to pass my own UUIDs instead of the ones JCR creates internally.
>
> Could you explain why you need to do that?
>
>> Is there any way to do this?
>
> You could use Session.importXML or Workspace.importXML using
> ImportUUIDBehavior.IMPORT_UUID_COLLISION_REPLACE_EXISTING.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

Thanks for the reply Thomas. The reason I need to do this is that I've
written and configured an S3-based FileSystem that suits our needs but isn't
terribly fast. I implemented asynchronous uploads to alleviate the pain to
the user, but had to write an awkward local-guid-to-remote-guid mapping
mechanism in order to return to the user a durable, canonical URI he (and
the system) can use to reference the file once it's been uploaded. The
mapping mechanism is trivial in concept but ends up being another potential
point of failure I'd rather forego. I realize I could stick the local URI in
a custom property and give the user a query string to use - as another
helpful forum member advised - but that felt less elegant and perhaps slower
when it seems like there's no real reason that GUIDs can't be controlled by
the client. Also - being aggresively RESTful here - we put a lot of weight
on the concept of the canonical URI.

Regards,

Marc Schriftman
BSG Alliance